TRADE DIRECTORY 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co´s, Bucks.
  directory cover
STEWKLEY, STEWKLEY DEAN and LITTLECOTE.

Stewkley is a large village and parish in the hundred of Cottesloe, union of Winslow, five and a half miles south east from Winslow and five and a half miles from Leighton Buzzard.
The parish comprises an area of 5330 acres, with a population in 1861 of 1452 inhabitants.
The church presents a remarkably fine specimen of Anglo Norman architecture, with massive square tower, four pinnacles and five bells. The living is a vicarage, value £400 per annum, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, who has the great tithes ; the Rev. Charles Henry Travers, incumbent.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here, and there is a parochial school.
Stewkley Dean and Littlecote are hamlets in this parish; the latter is situated two miles west of Stewkley.
Residents
Palmer Richard esq
Travers Rev Charles Henry, (vicar)
Traders
Barling George, cattle dealer
Bates John, farmer
Barton George, shopkeeper
Beasley Thomas, farmer
Belgrove Esther (Mrs), farmer
Belgrove William, farmer
Bliss David, blacksmith
Bodsworth William, saddler
Braint Charles, surgeon
Capel George, shopkeeper
Capp Stephen, carpenter
Capp Thomas, carpenter
Chandler Jane (Mrs), shopkeeper
Claridge Thomas, tailor
Coleman Elizabeth, (Mrs.) Red Lion
Coles Catherine (Mrs), wheelright
Coles George, shopkeeper
Dawkes Benjamin, farmer
Dickins Edward, farmer
Dickins Thomas, baker
Dickins Thomas, Cricketers Arms
Dimmock Joseph, tailor
East Edmund, academy
Edwin William, baker
Fenemore Charlotte (Miss), shopkeeper
Foster John, beer retailer
Grace John, butcher
Grace John, farmer
Grace Richard, corn dealer
Grace Richard, parish clerk
Grace William, farmer
Griffin Joseph, cattle dealer
Griffin Joseph, farmer
Griffin Richard, cattle dealer
Heady John, baker
Hedges Edward, farmer
Hedges James, shopkeeper
Hedges Joseph, farmer
Hedges Richard, farmer
Hedges Thomas, Swan
Hedges William, farmer and brickmaker
Heley George, beer retailer
Heley Hannah (Mrs), shopkeeper
Heley James, carpenter
Keen Eliza (Mrs), farmer
Keen George, shopkeeper
Keen John, cattle dealer
Kempton Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer
Kibble Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Lake John, Rose and Crown
Linney Thomas, cattle dealer
Mayne & Son, painters and glaziers
Mead Edmund, shopkeeper
Mead James, farmer
Mead John, farmer
Mead John, painter & glazier
North Thomas, shopkeeper
Randall Thomas, Bull
Rogers, Francis, painter & glazier
Rose Samuel, schoolmaster
Row George, mealman
Sear Joseph, shopkeeper
Stonhill Thomas, King’s Head and butcher
Tofield Elizabeth (Mrs), beer retailer
Tofield John, miller
Tofield Robert, farmer
Tomes Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer
Walters Wm., boot & shoe maker

TRADE DIRECTORY 1864 Post Office Directory of Buckinghamshire.
  directory cover
STEWKLEY, with STEWKLEY DEAN and LITTLECOTE.

STEWKLEY is a large village and Parish in the hundred of Cottesloe, union of Winslow, Buckingham county court district and archdeaconry, rural deanery of Mursley and diocese of Oxford, distant from Leighton Buzzard five and a half miles, and six from Winslow.
The church of St. Michael, one of the oldest Norman edifices in England, recently restored, has a massive square tower and 5 bells. The living is a vicarage, value £330 per annum, with residence, in the patronage of the Bishop of Oxford, who owns the great tithes ; the Rev. Charles Henry Travers, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford, is the incumbent.
Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. National schools for boys and girls, with residences for the master and mistress, were erected in 1860. The population in 1861 was 1,453; the area is about 4,330 acres ; rateable value of houses and land about £6,300. STEWKLEY DEAN is a hamlet of, and situated in, the parish of Stewkley, about two miles south from Drayton Parslow, six miles east from Winslow, and six miles west from Leighton Buzzard.
LITTLECOTE is a hamlet of, and in the parish of Stewkley, about 2 miles west from the village, six miles south-east from Winslow, and eight miles south-west from Leighton Buzzard.
POST OFFICE, MONEY ORDER OFFICE & POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK - Thomas Stonhill, receiver.
Letters arrive through Leighton Buzzard at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5 p.m.

National School (boys & girls), John Jenson, master; Mrs Anna Maria Jenson, mistress; Mrs Louisa Pike, infants' mistress.
Parish Clerk, Richard Grace.
Stewkley residents.
Booth Miss
Bryant Charles, esq
Glen Rev. William, M. A. (curate)
Palmer Richard, esq
Travers Rev. Charles Henry, M.A. (vicar)
COMMERCIAL
Barton George, shopkeeper
Barton Joseph, baker & corn dealer
Bates John, farmer
Beasley Thomas, farmer
Belgrove Esther (Mrs.), farmer
Belgrove William, farmer
Bliss William, farmer
Bliss David, blacksmith & brick & tile &
draining pipe manufacturer

Bliss Thomas, blacksmith
Bodsworth Wm. saddler & harness ma
Boiling George, Travellers' Rest
Bryant Charles, surgeon
Capp Stephen, carpenter
Capp Thomas, carpenter
Chandler Jane (Mrs.), butcher & shopkeeper
Claridge Thomas, tailor
Coleman Elizabeth (Mrs.), Red Lion
Coleman John, shoe maker
Coleman William, thrashing machine proprietor
Coles Catherine (Mrs. ), wheelwright
Coles George, shopkeeper
Dawkes Benjamin, farmer, Manor farm
Dawkes Henry, farmer
Dickins Edward, farmer
Dickins Miss, shopkeeper
Dickins Mrs. shoe maker
Dickins Robert, baker
Dickins Thomas, Cricketers
Dimmock John, shopkeeper
Dimmock Joseph, tailor
East Edmund, academy
Fenemore Charlotte (Miss), shopkeeper
Foote John, beer retailer
Grace John, butcher & farmer
Grace Richard, corn dealer
Grace William, farmer
Griffin Joseph, farmer
Heady John, baker & farmer
Hedges & Grace, brick, tile & draining pipe manufacturers
Hedges Edward, farmer
Hedges James, shopkeeper
Hedges Joseph, farmer
Hedges Richard, farmer
Hedges Robert, straw plait dealer
Hedges Thomas, Swan, brewer & maltster
Hedges William, farmer
Heley George, beer retailer &c
Heley James, carpenter & shopkeeper
Keen George, shopkeeper
Keen James, builder
Keen John, cattle dealer
Kempton Mrs. farmer
Kibble Thomas, boot & shoe maker, outfitter & clothier
Mayne William & James, plumbers, painters, glaziers & well sinkers
Mead Edmund, shopkeeper
Mead James, farmer
Mead John, painter & glazier & farmer
Mead Matthew, farmer
North Thomas, shopkeeper
Rand Robert, farmer
Randle Thomas, Bull, blacksmith & farrier
Rogers Francis, plumber & painter
Row George, mealman
Sear Joseph, shopkeeper
Stonhill Thos. King´s Head, & butcher & shopkeeper
Tofield Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer
Tofield Jeremiah, gravestone cutter
Tofield John, miller
Tofield Robert, farmer
Tomes Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Walters Wm. boot & shoe maker
White Edlin, wheelwright
Willis George, shoe maker
Willis William, shoe maker
Wiltshire Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper & birmingham & sheffield warehouse
Windsor George, farmer
Littlecote
Keen Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer Woodman Thomas, farmer

TRADE DIRECTORY Harrod & Co.´s Directory of Beds, Bucks. 1876
  directory cover
STEWKLEY (with the hamlets of Stewkley Dean and Littlecote),

is a parish four miles from Leighton Buzzard railway station, in the hundred of Cottesloe, union of Winslow, county court district of Buckingham, diocese of Oxford, archdeaconry of Buckingham, and rural deanery of Mursley.
The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The living is a vicarage annual value £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford ; the Rev. C. L. Alexander, M .A., is the vicar.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel.
There is also a National school; James Cooper, master ; Fanny Cooper, mistress.
The acreage is 3,823, of which the chief owners are the Hon. R Cavendish, Mrs Woodman, and Sir Anthony de Rothschild, Bart. The population is about 1,431.
The nearest money-order, telegraph office, and post town is Leighton Buzzard.
Carriers to Leighton, Tuesday and Friday, Aylesbury, Saturday, T. Chandler and J. Chappel.
Residents
Alexander Rev. Charles Leslie, M.A. vicar, the Vicarage Booth Miss E.
Heathe Miss
Palmer Mrs.
GENERAL TRADES.
Arnold John, coal dealer
Barton Joseph, shopkeeper
Bliss George, grocer
Bliss Thomas and William, blacksmiths
Bodsworth William and Sons, saddle and harness makers
Bonham Frederick, beer retailer
Bradley C. grocer and draper
Capel John, beer retailer
Claridge Thomas, tailor
Coleman Mrs. Red Lion Inn
Coles William, wheelwright and coach builder
Dickins Joseph, wheelwright
Dickens Thomas, baker
Dimmock John, tailor
Garner Joseph, coal dealer
Grace Richard, butcher
Heady Jesse, baker
Hedges Thomas, Swan Inn
Heley George, builder
Heley James, builder, grocer &c
Heley Thomas, carpenter and builder
Hounslow John, blacksmith
Illing Ezra, boot and shoemaker
Keen James, bricklayer and shopkeeper
Keen John, bricklayer
Keen Joseph, bricklayer
Keen William, bricklayer
King Stephen, coal merchant
Mayne Luke, painter and plumber
Mayne William, senr., painter and plumber
Mayne William, junr., painter and plumber
Mead Charles, beer retailer
Sear Joseph, shopkeeper
Stonhill Thomas, butcher
Stonhill John, boot and shoemaker
Stonhill Thomas, King's Head Inn
Tofield John, miller
Tofield William, carpenter and beer retailer
White Edlin, wheelwright
White H. L. grocer and draper
Willis George, boot and shoemaker
Willis William, boot and shoemaker
FARMERS.
Boiling George
Bates John
Bates William
Beasly William
Coleman Mrs. and landowner
Coleman William, and landowner
Dalton W. Edward
Dickins Edward
Grace Richard, senr.
Grace Richard
Grace William
Griffin Joseph
Griffin William
Griffin W. Edward
Hedges Frederick
Hedges John
Hedges Joseph
Hedges Richard
Hedges Thomas, Dean farm
Hedges William
Hedges William, senr.
Jones Mrs. Anne, and landowner
Keen Mrs. Eliza, Littlecote
Keen John, and dealer
Kempton James
Mead Edmund
Mead Mrs. James
Mead John, and landowner
Rand Robert
Stone George
Stone James and Richard
Windsor George, and landowner
Woodman Thomas, and landowner, Littlecote